Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations

From: Denis Maier
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 12:07:02 +0200

Hi,

Am 21.06.2021 um 10:45 schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
Hello,

Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org> writes:

Using a space for this is perhaps too subtle as you say. Also, the
question is which one should be the default. I'd actually suggest to
turn it around:

    "A quotation ending without punctuation"[cite: @hoel-71-whole].
    "A quotation ending with a period" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].

Reason for this: People who don't care for this distinction---either
because they use en-us only, or because they never switch from in-text
to notes styles---will probably prefer to have a space between
quotation and citation (in input and output).

People who don't care for this distinction can write

    "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].
    "A quotation ending with a period" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].

So I guess the default doesn't matter in this case?

That's probably correct.

What about some sort of escaping for punctuation that should stay
outside the quotation marks?
    "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole]\.

But, of course, that's imperfect as well. Don't know which option is
less odd.

Actual usage may tell. I implemented the spacing-tweak in
"wip-cite-new". You (and others) may want to try it out on real
documents and see if it feels somewhat natural.

Ok, let's see if others have comments. I can for now at least confirm that this works as intended.

Thanks again for all your work!

Best,
Denis

Regards,