Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 19:17:57 +0200

Hello,

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 3:41 AM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
> wrote:

>> As another, imperfect, workaround, I submit the following idea for
>> consideration:
>>
>>   "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].
>>   "A quotation ending with a period"[cite: @hoel-71-whole].
>>
>> IOW, the presence or absence of a space before the citation determines,
>> according to a note rule, if the punctuation should go inside or outside
>> the quotation. When processing non-note citations, we just need to
>> ensure there is at least a space after the previous element, which is
>> less "dangerous" than removing punctuation.
>>
>> I find it a bit too subtle, and so error-prone, but so is punctuation
>> anyway.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Just to confirm, Nicolas, your proposal would basically say the second
> example would override the default punctuation-moving behavior for the
> locale?

No, this behaviour is still customizable. For example,
`org-cite-note-rules' would contain the following entry:

  ("fr" adaptive same before)

where `adaptive' means the proposal above.

OTOH, "en-us" would still be

  ("en-us" inside outside after)

where the space does not matter since the punctuation always goes
inside.

> And for an in-text/author-date style, what would the output be with
> that example?
>
> I, someone who may have an "en-US" bias you could say, would expect:
>
>  "A quotation ending with a period" (Hoel, 1971).
>
> As in, the in-quote period would be dropped regardless, and therefore
> a space would also need to be added.

In any non-note situation, we just make sure the citation is preceded by
a space, so the example would be equivalent to

  "A quotation ending without punctuation" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].
  "A quotation ending with a period" [cite: @hoel-71-whole].

without moving punctuation.

Does that make sense?