Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations

From: Denis Maier
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 00:00:54 +0200

Hi,

Am 05.06.2021 um 23:45 schrieb Bruce D'Arcus:
On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 5:35 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

Getting back to this thread… I'd like to see it moving forward.
Yes. This is the last missing piece I see!
Yes, good this is coming.

You lost me here. Punctuation moving was implemented with notes cites in
mind (much like Pandoc, I think).
Correct. And also biblatex.

More exactly, punctuation shuffling
may happen whenever a cite turns into a footnote. For any other case,
the author is expected to place the cite object manually. So, the
automation does not apply to blockquotes, in the sense that inline
quotes or blockquotes use the same location for footnotes.
I guess to bottomline it, see the link that Denis provided, including
to the end with footnotes.

https://writingcenter.uagc.edu/block-quotations

I haven't tested the punctuation moving for this specifically, but it
would suggest a user would place this in a blockquote:

... end of sentence. [cite:@doe]

... and the result should remove the space for a footnote.

... end of sentence.[1]

I don't know how quotes work here, but perhaps there's no difference. Denis?
As as English and German are concerned, I think there is no difference between the two, yes. OTOH, French may be again different as the footnote marker may appear before the final punctuation.

... end of sentence[1].

Denis