Re: Bug: Org mode fails to compile using Emacs 24.5-r10 [9.4.5 (9.4.5-g3

From: Robert Horn
Subject: Re: Bug: Org mode fails to compile using Emacs 24.5-r10 [9.4.5 (9.4.5-g3ea248 @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 10:46:34 -0400

Colin Baxter writes:

>     > Timothy writes:
>
>     >> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>     >>
>     >> Maybe this is a good time to start a discussion about moving
>     >> Org's minimum supported Emacs to 25...?
>
>     > I checked Red Hat, Centos, Debian, SuSE, and Ubuntu.  They are all
>     > 25.1 or later in their current distributions.  So that will
>     > probably not cause too much breakage.
>
>     > -- Robert Horn rjhorn@alum.mit.edu
>
> Debian 9.13 (which is still supported) has emacs-24.

Interesting question about LTS.  How far back should we consider when
estimating the impact of a change like this?  I was looking at current
stable versions to estimate the impact of the change.  Lots of users
avoid the bleeding edge distribution releases, but most update to track
the current stable/LTS releases.  Or they won't complain that it's
unfair for org to expect them to update emacs to the current stable/LTS
version.

Ubuntu, Red Hat, CentOS and SuSE are 25.1 or above for their most recent
long term support releases.  Some of these distributions go a lot
further with various forms of long term support.  I think Red Hat goes
back 8 years for example, and that emacs is really old.

It looks like 25.1 is available, but not yet the default for Debian
"stretch" (Debian 9.13), which is the "oldstable" for Debian. With
Debian backport efforts I don't know if this means months or years.  The
web page for Emacs25inStretch has not changed since 2017, so it might
never happen.

--
Robert Horn
rjhorn@alum.mit.edu