Re: Concerns about community contributor support

From: ian martins
Subject: Re: Concerns about community contributor support
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 11:31:54 -0400

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 9:27 AM Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

On Wednesday, 21 Apr 2021 at 12:55, ian martins wrote:
> 1. A patch looks useful to me, but I feel I don't know if it's a good

[...]

>    "Thanks for submitting this. I'd use it.  Hopefully a maintainer
>    will take a look."

Ian,

I think you will find that a few of us do post answers like this every
now and again.  I know that I do.

I didn't mean to imply that you or anyone else never does this. I actually don't do it myself, and on reflection I believe it is for the reasons I listed above (a patch may look helpful but I don't know for sure that it'll be good overall, or it applies to a part of the code that I've not looked at). I thought others might have the same reasons for not responding.

The lack of answers to cases 2 & 3 are essentially showing a lack of
interest which is basically an (implicit) answer as well.  It may seem
dismissive but, given the volume of email some of us have to deal with
in our day job, it's just reality, I would suggest, without it meaning
to be judgemental in any way.

Lack of interest /is/ an implicit answer. The question is if that is a good way to answer. I agree with Timothy that ignoring newcomers' first attempt at contribution is an effective way to drive people away. Is that worth it in order to reduce email?