Re: Invalid function: org-preserve-local-variables

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Invalid function: org-preserve-local-variables
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:31:17 -0400

Loris Bennett writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running
>
>   Org mode version 9.4.4 (9.4.4-25-g3a522a-elpaplus @
> /home/loris/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20210222/)
>
> and today I encountered the following error when refiling
>
>   org-refile: Invalid function: org-preserve-local-variables
>
> Despite the error, the refiling itself did however work.
>
> I am fairly sure that I have refiled without seeing this error message
> since I last updated Org, thus I am somewhat surprised by it.

org-preserve-local-variables is a macro defined in org-macs.el. That
file is loaded by org.el, which is loaded by org-refile.el.  So, I think
everything looks fine there.

My guess---especially if you're running Emacs 26 or lower, which ships
with an Org that didn't yet have org-preserve-local-variables---is that
you have a mixed installation.  list-load-path-shadows might reveal the
problem.

https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#mixed-install