Re: Using lexical-binding

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Using lexical-binding
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:04:10 -0400

Greg Minshall writes:

> Kyle,
>
> thanks.  i see.  i wondered why the talk was all about agendas.
>
> since, in my (brand new, experimenting) use of
> =org-babel-map-src-blocks=, i'm calling a function, and that function is
> trying to de-reference, e.g., =beg-block=, i get an error.

Thanks for the details.

> it is (or does seem to be) the case that if the macro included all the
> valueless =defvars=, a function called from it has access to all those.
> i don't know if this would be a useful modification.

Hmm, given that the lexical-binding change to ob-core was back in Org
9.0 (November 2016), it seems like dynamic scoping wasn't really being
relied on (or, if it was, downstream code has already been adjusted).
In my view it'd be better to stick with lexical scoping for these
variables, with callers explicitly passing the subset of needed
variables to the underlying function(s).