Re: Sole Completion bug?

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Sole Completion bug?
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 22:45:05 -0500

Raoul Comninos writes:

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> Hmm, isn't this just following the built-in completing-read's behavior?
>>
>>   (completing-read
>>    "Prompt: "
>>    (list "Chris Bell"
>>          "Phone Chris Bell"
>>          "Meeting with Chris Bell"))
>>
>>   ;; `C<tab>` => Chris Bell -> `<tab>` => Chris Bell [Sole completion]
>
> You may be right. To find all entries with "Chris Bell" I need to add an
> asterisk before "Chris" as in "*Chris". So the search is based on
> wildcards not regex.

Yeah, I think that's the "*" from the partial-completion style in
completion-styles.

  (info "(emacs)Completion Styles")

> Any idea how I may change this behaviour to search
> by regex?

I'm not aware of a built-in completion style that offers that, but I
haven't used built-in completion for years.  Ivy and, if I recall
correctly, Helm support regexps.  I'd guess other third-party frameworks
do too.