Re: org-attach-git don't automatically commit changes

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-attach-git don't automatically commit changes
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 21:40:35 +0800

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Do you think a possible patch could simply consist of replacing (as I
> have done) `(expand-file-name org-attach-id-dir)' by `(org-attach-dir)'
> in `org-attach-git-commit'? This would allow you to handle attachment
> dirs as individual git repos, regardless of :ID: or :DIR: properties,
> since "[(org-attach-dir)] Return the directory associated with the
> current outline node. First check for DIR property, then ID property
> [...]".

All the instances of (expand-file-name org-attach-id-dir) should be
replaced. There are 3. That's not a big deal.

What is more tricky is making sure that workflow for people using the
old behaviour is not broken. Just changing to (org-attach-dir) will
break existing git repos in org-attach-id-dir. This should also not be
too hard (say, we can introduce a custom variable defaulting to old
behaviour), but exact details may need to be discussed.

In any case, if you provide a patch, it will encourage the org
maintainers to join this discussion and proceed with changes.

Best,
Ihor