Re: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet editing directly from within emacs.

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Microsoft Excel spreadsheet editing directly from within emacs.
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 04:02:06 +0000

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible for me to edit Microsoft Excel spreadsheet directly
> from within emacs, especially utilizing the powerful capabilities of
> orgmode?

People here have suggested lots of things.

It depends on the application.  Jean Louis is correct to say that Emacs
spreadsheets are not as fully featured as things like Libreoffice.

Plotting charts is a problem.  So is sending spreadsheets to other
people in a way that they can read the file.

In my past jobs I've used spreadsheets a lot.  I've found that Emacs is
very useful for the beginning steps.  If you have data in
comma-separated-value format or tab-separated-value format then you can
quickly check it over in Emacs and do cleaning-up changes.  But then
I've found it best to take that CSV/TSV output and put it into a full
spreadsheet package, to generate final output.  That is, if you need
charts and distribution to others.

BR,
Robert Thorpe