Re: Bug: org-element does not recognize table.el tables [9.4 (release_9.

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: Bug: org-element does not recognize table.el tables [9.4 (release_9.4-53-g23f941 @ /home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 16:10:32 -0500

Hi Bastien,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Would it be so bad if org-mode decides to stop supporting table.el tables?

I don't use table.el tables so it's easy for me to say "Get rid of them" - but
there may be objections :-)

> I don't see the benefit of supporting both Org tables and tables.el tables,
> and it calls for confusion.
>
> What do you and everyone else think?

They do exist in a sort of twilight zone: not many people use them
AFAICT, but there is ostensible support and the manual says "Org mode
recognizes such tables and exports them properly", but the bug I sent
shows that that's not correct.

So: fix this bug now that it's been pointed out? Close it as "Will not
fix" with some guidance on what the user is supposed to do ("don't use
table.el tables" is probably the best advice)? Or decide to jettison
table.el support altogether? The first and the last involve real work,
the middle one not, but it's not particularly tasty.

Somebody else will have to make the decision: I'm fine with either of
the exreme ways, not so much with the middle option, but since I'm not
going to do the work, I am in no position to insist.

BTW, I ran into this while looking into this Emacs SE question:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/62335/org-mode-export-table-to-latex-with-word-wrap

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler