behavior/docs of iCalendar export

From: Carson Chittom
Subject: behavior/docs of iCalendar export
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 16:37:33 -0600

This is a very small thing, but it came up today for me, so I thought I'd
mention it. (Org 9.4.2, for the record.)

I've just started playing with the iCalendar export because eventually I want
to keep everything in Org, to then get transformed and pushed to my CalDAV
server, which then gets pushed to my phone.

So after reading the docs[1][2] I created a minimal org file, which as it
happens only had a single time for the single event in it.  I tried to export
via C-c C-e c f, and immediately got an error that
org-agenda-default-appointment-duration wasn't set (which was perfectly true, I
hadn't set it and it defaults to nil).  So after looking at that variable's
documentation, just to make sure it was well-named and didn't do something
strange, I set it and went on about my merry way.  As I say, a very small
thing. I mention it only because it was slightly irritating that after actually
taking the time to read the documentation, I still had to troubleshoot (if you
want to call it that) briefly.

All of which leads up to: my suggestion is that either that
org-agenda-default-appointment-duration have an actual default value, or else
that [2] should mention that one might want to set it.

[1] https://orgmode.org/manual/Timestamps.html#Timestamps
[2] https://orgmode.org/manual/iCalendar-Export.html