Re: Exporting .org to .md for Sourcehut (sr.ht); ox-md not following Mar

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Exporting .org to .md for Sourcehut (sr.ht); ox-md not following Markdown spec?
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 08:59:39 +1100

TRS-80 <lists.trs-80@isnotmyreal.name> writes:

>> On 2020-12-02 14:44, Tim Cross wrote:
>>
> I think the problem is actually because Sourcehut are sanitizing the id
> attribute out of links, as I have replied already to some other people
> in this thread.
>

>From what I can tell, yes your right. However, it also seems that this
is an arbitrary decision by sourcehut. There doesn't seem to be anything
in the CommonMark spec which prevents the id attribute. The commonMark
spec explicitly supports raw HTML including attributes. This also makes
me think the problem is not with the org mode exporter either.

Basically, sourcehut is using the commonMark spec plus their own
'extensions/modifications' to that spec. The org exporter is not
breaking the commonMark spec.

Org mode exports could use what could be argued a simpler link target
export style, but perhaps using the 'raw' HTML approach makes it more
flexible/compliant with different markdown flavors? Problem is, changing
this now could result in lots of breakage for others where it is now
working.

I note that in the email thread you referenced, the last post suggests
setting up a custom readme format which would allow you to use HTML.
Maybe that is the easiest route to take - org -> html with custom
readme?

--
Tim Cross