Re: One vs many directories

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: One vs many directories
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2020 15:56:09 +0800

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> When task is assigned to somebody notification of a deadline or alerts
> are definitely useful for me. But they are are useful for those
> conducting the tasks.
>
> Thus integration to remind those *related* people to the assigned
> tasks and their deadlines or schedules would be useful.

I think that can be done by extending alert.el package (which org-alert
is based on). alert.el allows the user to define custom alert styles,
including sending sms or email.

>> I agree that org-agenda has many issues that cannot be easily solved
>> because of its complexity. However, everything you describe (including
>> multi-occur) can also be achieved with org-ql
>> (https://github.com/alphapapa/org-ql) - analogue of SQL query language
>> for org-mode (with more optimisations in comparison with org-agenda).
>
> Definitely good only too much low-level. Users need finished functions
> that integrate stuff. To adopt myself to org-ql would mean to read
> documentations, meanings, and starting with some functions, while this
> may be possible for me that approach is not user friendly as users
> need integration and accessible interfaces.

Not really. Searching in org-ql is made very intuitive - just like you
would search in google. There are multiple interactive commands:
- helm-org-ql :: The user simply types search keywords and the commands
  shows all the matching headlines. For example, user can type
  "headline:Doe call todo:WAIT tags:invoice" and get all kinds of
  matches as he/she types
- org-ql-view :: shows the menu for different pre-customised searches
  like "Calendar: This week" or "Overview: NEXT tasks"

> Example of lack of integration would be to tell to user to simply
> construct the link in the form: [[Here][Link]] and that alone would
> require some thinking and learning.

There is also (slower) helm-org (https://github.com/emacs-helm/helm-org)
offering similar interface to helm-org-ql, but also adding an option to
do various actions with the selected tasks, like inserting correctly
formatted link. The same can be done in helm-org-ql. I think the author
plans to extend that command in the near future. Or one can add extra
actions as needed - it is trivial to do in helm.

> Good integration for org-ql would be a wizard that can add to the list
> of various queries and offers users various ways to search such as
> searching by headline, tags, or having both tags involved, date,
> deadlines and so on.

All these are already available. The user can search tags:tag1,tag2,...,
headline:word1,word2 (or shortly hl:word1,...), scheduled:on=today,
deadline:from=-7,to=2020-12-01

Best,
Ihor