Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: Bring up a screen giving option to open a series of orgmode files
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:15:22 +0100

Hello,

On 2020-11-27 05:40, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> Now we have `evince' PDF viewer that can open PDF I think by page
> number and by query but it cannot do the equivalent
> `evince-store-link' so user has to think about the file name and page
> number and so on.

For that I recommend pdf-tools (great pdf viewer for emacs, supporting
annotations and synctex, https://github.com/politza/pdf-tools) and
org-pdftools (provides org links for it,
https://github.com/fuxialexander/org-pdftools). There is also the
org-noter option (https://github.com/weirdNox/org-noter) to link
external annotations to pdfs.

> We have browsers that each of them think for themselves. Each can
> store bookmarks but hardly provide such to external programs.

For that org-protocol was mentioned. There is eww as well to browse
within emacs (and thus have links).

> File managers do not provide `file-manager-store-link' but they should
> as it would be very useful to have programs integrate with each other
> that hyperdocument systems can be built.

dired is a nice file manager. I agree having something at the level of
the OS would be great, but emacs is a pretty good OS ;)

Best,

Alan