Re: One vs many directories

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: One vs many directories
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 21:15:00 +1100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> My primary PIM is on higher level than HyperScope as HyperScope is
> part of PIM which I call CRM or Customer Relationship Management as it
> does not manage only my personal information. In the practical sense
> it is more or less same thing only that allows work in group. It is
> just so similar to various other CRM software around.
>
> HyperScope is not file system. It is dynamical knowledge repository of
> hyperdocuments, any kinds of documents. Other similar projects are:
>
> Semantic Synchrony
> https://github.com/synchrony/smsn
>
> Hypothes.is Annotate the web, with anyone, anywhere.
> https://web.hypothes.is/
>
> GNOWSYS: A Kernel for Semantic Computing!
> https://www.gnu.org/software/gnowsys
>
> gstudio
> https://gitlab.com/gnowledge/gstudio
>
> Project Xanadu
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Xanadu
>
> Those links I am quickly inserting into buffer exactly by using
> Hyperscope. I am just pressing one key W and hyperlink from HyperScope
> buffer is creating those hyperlinks above.

I have used similar tools in the past. However, what I find frustrating
about them is that your now dependent on another bit of technology - a
database of some type with all the issues that adds - installation,
upgrades, maintenance, backups etc. The thing I like best about Org is
that in the end, it is just a collection of plain text documents.

I haven't had the challenges mentioned by others. My org files are
broken into directories and I have a directory hierarchy and I use
things like org id and other add ons to extend. I also have started
playing around with org-roam, which I find to be quite interesting -
especially the biity it has to handle bidirectional links etc.

I also wanted to mention another Emacs project which is quite
interesting and has actually been around a lot longer than org,
Hyperbole. I've not got a URL handy, but I'm sure you can find it with
google.

It is an interesting system which pretty much makes everything possible
in a document a hyperlink. Provides some very interesting ways of
linking documents.

My preference has always been to 'do my own thing'. I tend to look at
other information management approaches and cherry pick the bits which I
like and then replicate them in org. I don't find org as limiting as
others seem to, but I'm also quite happy to add in my own elisp to tweak
it the way I want it to be - thats why I love emacs.
--
Tim Cross