Re: Ignored bugs

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Ignored bugs
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 12:14:11 +0530

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

>> I am trying to use `use-package' for package management via the init
>> file. And when I do (use-package org :ensure t) it doesn't install the
>> latest. It uses the builtin package only. Is this a bug in emacs,
>> use-package or elpa?
>
> Not a bug at all. You have to configure your emacs to obtain the latest
> version from the org (or MELPA?) repository.
>
> If you really want the most recent org version, you need to add the org
> ELPA repository to your packages.el repository list. I have the
> following in my setup -
>
> (add-to-list 'package-archives `("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/";))
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/";))

Okay. I don't have org-elpa in my list. But Org 9.4 is visible in the
`gnu' archive. I have this in my configuration

(custom-set-variables
 '(package-archives '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/";)
                      ("gnu"   . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";))))

When I install it manually via package-install it gets installed. But
(use-package org :ensure t) doesn't install it. Probably the order is
affecting it.