Re: Ignored bugs

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: Ignored bugs
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 15:54:19 -0500

On 2020-11-17 21:27, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> The page that introduces the Emacs bug tracker already reports that this

The way emacs users behave isn't to go search and find and read that web
page. It's to perform M-x report-emacs-bug. For people using a command
completion program, while they type they see similar alternatives but
org-mode has gone its own way also in its naming convention for
report-*-bug so its 'submit' function would not appear (nor c nor ffap).

> mailing list is the right place where to report Org bugs (or feature
> request, as is the case for at least one of the bug you reported), and
> not the Emacs bug tracker.

That cuts off anyone not wanting to be a subscriber to your mailing list
/ not wanting all the clutter of all the other conversations and threads
of your mailing list (I certainly don't). That imposes upon them the
burden of taking the steps to apply to join the list, confirm, post, and
then unsubscribe any time they want to make a contribution or submit a
report.

But, let's try out your suggested method of reporting. Here I am on your
mailing list, reporting that function org-submit-bug-report should
either be renamed or aliased to something more consistent with function
report-emacs-bug, possibly report-emacs-org-bug.

> I went and read the exchange on bug #42484 and already Bastien told you
> that this mailing list is the right place where to report bugs and
> submit patches.

Lost that, as probably have others. Ultimately, it's your choice to make
your eco-system friendly or not, convenient or not, considerate or not.

> You are deliberately ignoring these instructions. What do you expect?

For one, I expect you to not unjustly impute to me motive, and not to
take that 'what do you expect' attitude with me (or with anyone else).

> Would you like to elaborate on why making it easy for you to contribute
> something to org-mode that solves your problems should be of concerns to
> the people of this list, especialy if this comes at extra cost to them?

That is such a classic and revealing paragraph you wrote about yourself!
Maybe paste it on your bathroom mirror and read over every once in a while.
Maybe publicize that paragraph as a policy document for the project?

> Cheers,

Not.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0