Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 09:26:30 +0300

i wanted first to thank everyone for their participation in this
discussion.  i want to not be annoying.  and, yes, this is a long
thread, and for me, at least, it's hard to keep track of what was said.

(like many, i assumed this was some bug, triggered by my configuration
TIMES emacs release TIMES org release, and that it would eventually
clear up or i'd eventually track down whatever in my .emacs that was
causing it.)

Kévin Le Gouguec said

> My understanding of electric-indent-mode is that it tries to make
> "RET" equivalent to "insert newline; indent according to major mode
> rules".

and i wonder if this might be a big part of the "problem": exactly what
*are* the major mode rules when org-mode is the major mode?  my sense is
that for some of us, column 1 (modulo lists) rules; for others, column
(n*asterisks+1) is the rule.

both seem reasonable choices.  afaict, either, if adopted as "the" major
mode rule for org-mode, could be said to be playing to the tune of
emacs' electric indent.

then, more mundanely, i'll note that setting 'org-adapt-indentation' to
nil doesn't seem to take at least me back to (my column-1 version of)
nirvana.  if i type (ignore square brackets):
----
[- this<RET>is<RET>a<RET>test]
----

i end up with:
----
- this
  is
  test
----

rather than
----
- this
is
test
----
which i think was the previous behavior.  (in the previous, iirc, M-q
and/or word-wrapping would wrap w.r.t. the indentation of the current
(sub-)list item.)

cheers, Greg

ps -- Gustavo, again, thanks.

> You (plural) could probably also get some juice from looking into, and
> incorporating to muscle memory, `M-RET', `C-RET' and `C-j'.

i tried that with the BSD users.  there, it didn't sell.  (almost) forty
years, and a couple of thousand users, later, maybe it will take!  (but,
obviously, i sort of hope not, now that i'm vaguely on the other side of
the table. :) best.