Re: official orgmode parser

From: Tom Gillespie
Subject: Re: official orgmode parser
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2020 18:19:47 -0400

Even if this did work for plain lists it won't work for headlines
because headlines have an arbitrary number of stars and thus it is not
possible for the grammar to know what is a sub-headline vs "the next
headline". For a similar reason I'm fairly sure that the sublist
approach will not work due to issues with relative indent. Here is the
quote from the current draft syntax.

> An item ends before the next item, the first line less or equally indented
> than its starting line, or two consecutive empty lines. Indentation of lines
> within other greater elements do not count, neither do inlinetasks boundaries.

The "the first line less or equally indented than its starting line"
section is what prevents your approach from working because you have
to know the relative indentation in order to figure out which list
contains a nested list. As written your grammar will parse a nested
list into a flat list. This is because there are an arbitrary number
distinct tokens that could be =indent= in your grammar and the EBNF
can't specify an ordering for them so that you can't say that one
indent is greater than another.

For list termination the rule seems to be two new lines followed by
not a list element. As a result of this, my inclination is to only
parse plain list elements and reconstruct the whole "list" only as an
internal semantic.

Check the behavior of
                                                        1. see
                                          1. what