Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [patch suggestion] Mitigating the poor Emacs performance on huge org files: Do not use overlays for PROPERTY and LOGBOOK drawers
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 15:30:25 +0800

> Can you share this gist as a patch against Org's current master?

That is not possible. The underlying reason of the bug in the patch is
different from master.

On master, the overlays for folded drawers and headlines are merged
together - when folded headline is opened by isearch, everything is
revealed. The fix would involve special logic re-hiding drawers when
necessary.

On the org-fold feature branch, the drawers and headlines are folded
independently. The reason why the bug persisted was my mistake in
org-hide-drawers - I skipped drawers inside folded headlines, even when
the drawers themselves were not folded. In my case the fix was trivial -
I replaced condition when to skip drawer at point:

[any fold is present at point] -> [drawer fold is present at point]
(org-fold-get-folding-spec) -> (org-fold-get-folding-spec
(org-fold-get-folding-spec-for-element 'drawer))

So, the fix is only relevant to the whole org-fold branch.

Best,
Ihor