Re: basic org questions

From: TEC
Subject: Re: basic org questions
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:51:32 +0800

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> TEC wrote:
>
> I know this commands well from my LaTeX projects,
> but I'm gonna use LaTeX anyway, what's the use of
> using org-mode?

You see, strangely enough - if you want to tweak the result of Org
exporting to LaTeX, you have to write LaTeX :P

Assuming your only use of Org is exporting to LaTeX (needless to say,
this leaves a lot of nice functionality on the table), you still get the
benefit of a more succinct syntax, and can embed such customisations in
the default LaTeX class fairly easily --- see
https://tecosaur.github.io/emacs-config/config.html#class-templates

Functionally, all I'm doing is

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
  ("my-article"
   "...preamble..."))

(setq org-latex-default-class "my-article")
#+end_src

> And even for the most basic tasks like configuring
> how a paragraph will look?

Yea, some export settings have a convenient variable for them, others
have to be done by hand. I've always been able to get my desired output
though :)

> Also, that doesn't work. Put it in the document, new
> PDF, looks the same.

Oh, if you just pasted the SRC block from my email, that wouldn't.
You need to put the commands in a
#+latex_header: ...
line. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Regards,