Re: basic org questions

From: Stefan Nobis
Subject: Re: basic org questions
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:48:52 +0200

Emanuel Berg via "General discussions about Org-mode."
<emacs-orgmode@gnu.org> writes:

> OK, but the values still ned to be specified, right?

No, just use the package - it sets the relevant lengths to change the
style of marking paragraphs and tries hard to also reset every other
length that depends on the original values of these variables.

Here is an example of a quite minimal LaTeX document that should show
the effect:

#+begin_src latex
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{blindtext}
\usepackage{parskip}
\begin{document}
\Blinddocument
\end{document}
#+end_src

As I said: The lengths parskip and parindent are very far-reaching,
fundamental variables in LaTeX. They are used in many places and
globally setting them may lead to unexpected side-effects.

If you just look at a couple of paragraphs you won't see any problems.
But if you write more complex documents, using packages like listings to
display code, use other environments mixed with paragraphs and lists,
there will occur problems with the spacing.

I don't remember all the details, I just always remember to use either
the package parskip or (in most of my use-cases) the documentclass
option "parskip=full" from the Koma script classes (that I use nearly
exclusively) - when I... consider to use this style of marking
paragraphs. :)

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.