Re: ob-java and ob-haxe

From: ian martins
Subject: Re: ob-java and ob-haxe
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 09:29:09 -0400

That is understandable; they're big patches. I recommend going over ob-java first. Java is probably more familiar to you and ob-java and ob-haxe are very similar. These were mostly based on ob-python and ob-C. The tests are based on ob-Cs tests.

Look carefully at org-babel-temp-dir and org-babel-remove-temporary-directory. The patches override core but ideally these would be changes in core.

I was hesitant to put these in ELPA because then the tests won't run when org-mode is modified.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 12:56 AM Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:
ian martins writes:

> I posted patches for ob-java and ob-haxe a couple months ago but there was
> no interest. I have been given access to push to contrib. If there's no
> objection I'll put them there.
>
> I'll rename my version ob-java-alt so it doesn't conflict with the official
> one. The contrib directory doesn't have a "testing" directory so I'll add
> one. I'll document them in worg.

My understanding is that there's been a move away from adding new
libraries to contrib/, instead preferring an ELPA for cases where core
isn't deemed appropriate.

Fixes and enhancements to ob-java are obviously appropriate for core.
And while it'd be fine to host ob-haxe separately, my impression is that
it too would be suitable for core.

I'm sorry your patches haven't gotten any reviews or other feedback.
I've sat down a couple of times to review the ob-haxe patch but haven't
ended up blocking off enough time to get anywhere.  I'll revisit it this
weekend.  Of course, any feedback from those that actually use haxe
would be appreciated.