Re: [9.4] LOGBOOK visibility

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [9.4] LOGBOOK visibility
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 19:18:42 +0800

> FWIW, I think Emacs has a branch (feature/noverlay) which has been
> reported to improve performance with overlays.  AFAICT it's just hanging
> there waiting to be merged (though a naive "git merge" reveals some
> conflicts); some quick Googling suggests it has last been discussed two
> years ago:

That branch is around for a very long time. The last attempt on it was
back in December [1]. However, all the progress was only in tests, not in
actual code. As I mentioned in the discussion about using properties
instead of overlays, I prefer to modify org now rather than waiting for
someone to finalise and merge that branch.

Also, text properties appear to use less memory.

Best,
Ihor

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-12/msg00115.html

--