Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket

From: ian martins
Subject: Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 06:29:03 -0400

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 1:25 AM Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> wrote:
ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:

Hello.

> I've written an alternative org-java.el that doesn't have that
> problem. I wanted to add it to contrib/ but haven't been able to get
> access. if you want to try it I can post it somewhere.

Sounds excellent.

Would it be possible for us to fix the current version without
introducing a new one? Can you identify the parts of your code that fix
the issue?
The existing code creates the java program and runs it correctly, but it uses `org-babel-import-elisp-from-file' to interpret the results, and that sees the bracket and tries to make the response into a list, and errors when it can't. I don't see a quick fix for it. If you allow unbalanced brackets but that would be a change in ob-core and would probably cause unwanted results in other places. If you don't try to convert the output into a list, you can't present java results as lists or tables.  Really the problem is that ob-java doesn't support functional mode, so it tries to guess if scripting mode output should be a table or list.  The version I wrote supports functional and scripting modes and doesn't use `org-babel-import-elisp-from-file'.

I am already a contributor, so if you can post your solution here I can
create a patch and give you the credit.
I would really appreciate that if you are willing, but it's a significant change (code is 400 lines, 600 lines of tests and test data) and there might be iterations so you might be signing up for more than you realize.

How does that sound?

Jarmo