Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket

From: ian martins
Subject: Re: Babel: parse error when output contains opening bracket
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 08:49:14 -0400

A little while back I submitted a patch to add org-babel integration for haxe and mentioned that the same could be done for java to expand the features of the java integration. There was no response which I took to mean no interest in haxe or java, so I didn't think submitting a patch for java would be fruitful. Then I thought I could just add them to the contrib directory but was mistaken since that goes through the same ML patch workflow.

Since you recommend it, I will try submitting a patch for java.

I still want to share the haxe integration. What is the best way to do that?

-Ian

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 1:55 AM Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> wrote:

>> ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> writes:
>>
>> Would it be possible for us to fix the current version without
>> introducing a new one? Can you identify the parts of your code that fix
>> the issue?
>>
> The existing code creates the java program and runs it correctly, but
> it uses `org-babel-import-elisp-from-file' to interpret the results,
> and that sees the bracket and tries to make the response into a list,
> and errors when it can't. I don't see a quick fix for it. If you allow
> unbalanced brackets but that would be a change in ob-core and would
> probably cause unwanted results in other places. If you don't try to
> convert the output into a list, you can't present java results as
> lists or tables.  Really the problem is that ob-java doesn't support
> functional mode, so it tries to guess if scripting mode output should
> be a table or list.  The version I wrote supports functional and
> scripting modes and doesn't use `org-babel-import-elisp-from-file'.

Ok.

>> I am already a contributor, so if you can post your solution here I
>> can create a patch and give you the credit.
>>
> I would really appreciate that if you are willing, but it's a
> significant change (code is 400 lines, 600 lines of tests and test
> data) and there might be iterations so you might be signing up for
> more than you realize.

Fair enough.

1. Have you considered writing a patch yourself?

2. If not, I think you lose nothing by posting your code here and
   patiently waiting if I can create something out of it.

All the best,

Jarmo