Re: issue tracker?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: issue tracker?
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 16:59:55 +0200

Hi Anthony,

Anthony Carrico <acarrico@memebeam.org> writes:

> Does org-mode have an issue tracker, to keep track of which issues
> are active, or is it just this mailing list?

thanks for asking.

I've skimmed through https://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html and the
question "Does org-mode have an issue tracker?" is not there, while
it's probably the most frequently asked question :)

As Nicolas pointed out, the main issue is the lack of maintainers, not
the absence of a bug tracker -- otherwise Org would have died years
ago!

One thing we can do is to recruit developers: I will discuss it
with Kyle and Nicolas and see if it sounds useful to them, and for
what area of the code.  (For example, I would love to have someone
responsible for Org Babel, someone for Worg, someone for important
export backends, etc.)

While I think a bug tracker is no magical solution (and can even add
more to the current problem of our lack of resources), I agree there
is still something we can do better: not losing reports of confirmed
bugs.

I have setup this page on orgmode.org which now tracks confirmed bugs:

  https://updates.orgmode.org

Org developers can subscribe to this RSS feed:
https://updates.orgmode.org/feed/bugs

And bugs are also available as json data:
https://updates.orgmode.org/data/bugs

Anyone on the list can "confirm" a bug by adding this header:

I hope this will help us move in the right direction while still using
the list for *every* kind of input*.

Best,

--
 Bastien