RE: [Bug] org-store-link should not insert a document level ID property

From: Gustav Wikström
Subject: RE: [Bug] org-store-link should not insert a document level ID property
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 19:27:40 +0000

Hi,

I see some purposes. They maybe aren't for everyone, but they surely are there.
1) Attachments for the whole file without setting the DIR property.
2) Link targets, making the file name irrelevant for the links.

> > The main reason is that I find these IDs redundant and visually
> > distracting. I can see how file IDs would be useful if one is
> > constantly renaming files (or perhaps writing custom functions that
> > convert files to entries and vice versa).
>
> IIUC, currently, renaming the file breaks the association between the ID
> and the file name. IOW, the ID is useless if you rename the file.

As long as org-id-track-globally isn't set to nil I don't think what you write
is true. And even if renaming the file would break the link it's just
momentarily since regenerating the .org-id-locations file should make the link
work again.

Regards
Gustav