Re: [Bug] org-store-link should not insert a document level ID property

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Bug] org-store-link should not insert a document level ID property
Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 08:26:07 -0500

> Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What I was thinking of in terms of configuration is being able to
>> preserve path-based links (instead of IDs) if creating a link above the
>> first headline. This is the behavior that existed in the past when
>> org-id-link-to-org-use-id was set to t or
>> 'create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-id.
>
> I don't understand what is the meaning of an ID property for a whole
> document.
>
> AFAIK, ID is associated to a file name, and possibly a location in it.
> In this case, the ID is strictly equivalent to the file name, so why
> bother?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking: Why bother
generating IDs at the top level of a file (which was the change Gustav
introduced)? Or why bother turning off that behavior? I can't address
the former question but I will address the latter. The main reason is
that I find these IDs redundant and visually distracting. I can see how
file IDs would be useful if one is constantly renaming files (or perhaps
writing custom functions that convert files to entries and vice versa).
But in other ways they are more fragile than paths, since a :PROPERTIES:
drawer at the top of a file looks like clutter and is *very* tempting to
delete:

---- beginning of file
:PROPERTIES:
:ID:       d4ef67e6-ffcd-4df3-b821-b92c0138eb9c
:END:
#+FILETAGS: work inbox
#+CATEGORY: work
---- file continues...

That said, I'm happy to hack together a personal solution by advising
org-id-store-link if we decide not to allow users to customize this
behavior.

Best,
Matt