Re: File Scoped Properties?

From: Fraga, Eric
Subject: Re: File Scoped Properties?
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 06:51:27 +0000

On Thursday,  5 Mar 2020 at 10:28, Tim Visher wrote:
> I _am_ able to get it to work by adding a file local variable like
>
> ```
> # Local Variables:
> # org-attach-id-dir: "~/.foo/data"
> # End:
> ```
>
> but then whenever I open the file it tells me it's possibly not safe to set
> that.

You've already received a more org-ish response but I'll give you an
Emacs response to this part of your post: Emacs is simply making sure
you are aware that a variable is being set when visiting a file.  It's a
form of security to ensure you don't have a file do something you don't
want it to do.  If you are happy for that variable to be set by files in
this way generally, Emacs does give you the option of saving this
information in the customization file and you won't get asked
again.

It's not that setting this variable this way is dangerous per se.  But,
for instance, this variable could be set by some file you receive from
somebody else to a destination that is off your computer, e.g. using
tramp.  This is the closest that Emacs comes to being vulnerable to
viruses (computer, not COVID-19 ;-)).

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.6-354-g9d5880