Re: Survey: changing a few default settings for Org 9.4

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Survey: changing a few default settings for Org 9.4
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 12:30:59 +0100

Hello,

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> - Add org-tempo to org-modules
>
>   Last but not least: we had long discussions about this one in the
>   past.  Expansion of the "<s" templates (and other "<*" templates) at
>   the beginning of the line has been turned off.  I have IRL met with
>   Org users* who just thought the feature was broken/deleted, without
>   having/taking the time/knowledge/guts to look for the things they
>   can turn on.  I am all for turning this on again, letting experts
>   disabling the feature if they don't want it.
>
>   * We have regular meetings with https://www.emacs-doctor.com/

This is not a good default, at least for beginners, because Org provides
a better solution out of the box. There are also better solutions
outside Org (e.g., Yasnippet).

It is only valuable for existing users, who relied on this feature, and
don't want to switch. It's perfectly understandable, but it is also fair
to assume they can add (require 'org-module) to their own configuration.
_Removing_ the module, OTOH, is subtle.

By the way, this does not belong to the same category as other
defcustoms discussed. This is only tangential to "how does Org should
look and feel by default". It relates to: should Org provide multiple
snippet extensions, knowing this is not a central feature, and Org is
often seen as bloated by Emacs devs? I don't think so, no matter how
useful this feature can be for some users.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou