Re: [RFC] C-c C-c in agenda

From: Marco Wahl
Subject: Re: [RFC] C-c C-c in agenda
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 21:26:35 +0100

Hi Adam,

Adam Porter <address@hidden> writes:

>> For some days now C-c C-c disables column view in Org files.  This helps
>> me a bit and never got in my way.  And I thought it would be quite
>> natural and consistent to use this binding for the agenda too.
>>
>> What do you think about all that?
>
> Hi Marco,
>
> I've always had the impression that the "C-c C-c" binding was intended
> to do the most obviously useful or natural action in the current
> context.  For example, in a capture or log buffer, it completes the
> capture.  With point on a #+ line, it resets buffer properties
> accordingly.
>
> I don't use column view very often, so I may be biased, but anyway: in
> the general context of an Agenda buffer, I don't feel like enabling or
> disabling column view is the most obviously useful or natural thing to
> do, so "C-c C-c" doesn't seem like an appropriate binding to me.

Yes, it might not be 100% natural.

But as Samuel pointed out accidentially turned on column view can be a
trap in particular for new users.  And C-c C-c often is a way out not
only in Org mode.  And also recall Bastien's observation that C-c C-c
already all the time quit column view when triggered on a line in column
view state.

Best regards,
--
Marco