Re: [O] Tracking time from one state to another?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [O] Tracking time from one state to another?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 13:25:09 +0200

On 2019-04-17, at 14:20, Malcolm Matalka <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible in org-mode to track, and report, the duration of certain
> state transitions in org-mode?  In particular, I'm interested in
> tracking how long it takes me to go from a state that means I'm actively
> working on an item to it being in a done state?
>
> In my case, an item might go from working, to waiting, to working, to
> done.  And in this case I'm only really interested in the last working
> to done time.
>
> For my case, I'm looking to do a weekly report on how long it takes me
> to complete tasks that I have said I will work on.

Hi Malcolm,

that sounds interesting.  Since you can turn on logging of state changes
(as you probably know), this is in principle possible, though I don't
think it is built in.

I guess writing a bit of Elisp to accomplish this should not be very
difficult, though it seems that currently the problem is a bit
underspecified.  If you could elaborate, e.g., provide an example of
your state change log and describe the result you would like to get,
I could be tempted to coding this.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski