Re: [O] Tracking time from one state to another?

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] Tracking time from one state to another?
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 16:27:38 +0200

Hi Malcom,

On 2019-04-17 at 14:20 +0200, Malcolm Matalka <address@hidden> wrote...
> Is it possible in org-mode to track, and report, the duration of
> certain state transitions in org-mode? In particular, I'm interested
> in tracking how long it takes me to go from a state that means I'm
> actively working on an item to it being in a done state?
>
> In my case, an item might go from working, to waiting, to working, to
> done.  And in this case I'm only really interested in the last working
> to done time.

Org doesn't have a built-in feature to turn on/off the clock when you change
state, as far as I know. But it has the opposite - you can change state when
you clock in or out of a task.

See section 7 here
https://writequit.org/denver-emacs/presentations/2017-04-11-time-clocking-with-org.html#helpful-things

And/or maybe thread here w/ some code
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode//2009-04/msg00315.html

So perhaps you can achieve this by changing your workflow a bit. Instead of
changing state, just clock in and have the state set to INPROGRESS. Clock otu
and have it set to WAITING. When it is done, it may be a two-step process of
setting to DONE and making sure the clock is stopped.

Would this achieve what you're looking for?

  -k.