Re: [O] Bug: Special property ITEM without stars [9.1.14]

From: Allen Li
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Special property ITEM without stars [9.1.14]
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 16:52:56 -0800

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 6:28 AM Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Allen Li <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 10:00 AM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is not satisfying, actually. If every item has a single asterisk,
> >> you miss hierarchy between headlines in the same tree.
> >
> > I don't know what you mean.  Hierarchy is not displayed normally in
> > agenda view anyway, I don't know why displaying it in agenda column
> > view via the ITEM property is desirable?
> >

> I use hierarchy in my custom agenda view everyday.  Please do not remove
> this feature.

Apparently I'm missing something.  How are you using hierarchy in an
agenda view?  Agenda views are flat, e.g.:

  tasks:      TODO [#A] Some task
  tasks:      TODO [#A] Some task
  tasks:      TODO [#A] Some task
  tasks:      TODO Some task
  tasks:      TODO Some task
  tasks:      TODO Some task

If I remember correctly, the reason they're flat is that it generally
doesn't make sense to show the hierarchy because it won't make any
sense.  For example, the following:

* TODO Project A
** Some project A notes
* Project B
** TODO Some task for B

would have this hierarchy in an agenda view if we hypothetically displayed it:

  tasks:      * TODO Project A
  tasks:      ** TODO Some task for B

which I think is confusing at best (but I can believe is useful for
some work flows if you're careful).