Re: [O] Bug: Special property ITEM without stars [9.1.14]

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Special property ITEM without stars [9.1.14]
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 09:36:07 -0500

Allen Li <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 6:28 AM Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Allen Li <address@hidden> writes:

>> > I don't know what you mean.  Hierarchy is not displayed normally in
>> > agenda view anyway, I don't know why displaying it in agenda column
>> > view via the ITEM property is desirable?
>> >

>> I use hierarchy in my custom agenda view everyday.  Please do not remove
>> this feature.
>
> Apparently I'm missing something.  How are you using hierarchy in an
> agenda view?  Agenda views are flat, e.g.:
>
>   tasks:      TODO [#A] Some task
>   tasks:      TODO [#A] Some task
>   tasks:      TODO [#A] Some task
>   tasks:      TODO Some task
>   tasks:      TODO Some task
>   tasks:      TODO Some task
>
> If I remember correctly, the reason they're flat is that it generally
> doesn't make sense to show the hierarchy because it won't make any
> sense.  For example, the following:
>
> * TODO Project A
> ** Some project A notes
> * Project B
> ** TODO Some task for B
>
> would have this hierarchy in an agenda view if we hypothetically displayed it:
>
>   tasks:      * TODO Project A
>   tasks:      ** TODO Some task for B
>
> which I think is confusing at best (but I can believe is useful for
> some work flows if you're careful).

In my custom agenda view for Projects I set
    (org-tags-match-list-sublevels 'indented)

(Tags have been removed for clarity)

Projects
  Rxxxx:      TODO Rxxxx Some Release
  Rxxxx:      .TODO Some Project
  Rxxxx:      ..TODO Some SubProject
  Rxxxx:      ...NEXT Some Task
  Rxxxx:      .TODO Another Project
  Rxxxx:      ..TODO Another Subproject
  Rxxxx:      ...TODO Another Subproject
  Rxxxx:      ....NEXT Another Task
  Rxxxx:      ..TODO Another Subproject [2/6]

which matches my actual tasks in Development.org

#+TITLE: Development
* TODO Rxxxx Some Release
** TODO Some Project
*** TODO Some Subproject