Re: [O] How to make agenda generation faster

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [O] How to make agenda generation faster
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 15:04:58 +0800

>   I've thought about this for a while.  It seems to me that the issue is
>   that Org buffers are, of course, plain-text buffers.  There is no
>   persistent, in-memory representation other than the buffer, so whenever
>   Org needs structured/semantic data, it must parse it out of the buffer,
>   which is necessarily rather slow.  If there were a way to keep an
>   outline tree in memory, parallel to the buffer itself, that would allow
>   operations like search, agenda, etc. to be greatly sped up.

FYI
A while ago I saw some cache implementation in org-element.el.
Take a look at org-element--cache variable definition and the code
below.

````
(defvar org-element--cache nil
  "AVL tree used to cache elements.
Each node of the tree contains an element.  Comparison is done
with `org-element--cache-compare'.  This cache is used in
`org-element-at-point'.")
````

Best,
Ihor