Re: [O] newbie which LaTeX for PDF publish

From: adam
Subject: Re: [O] newbie which LaTeX for PDF publish
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2018 19:58:16 +1200

On Sat, 2018-09-01 at 14:34 +0200, Robert Klein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2018 22:12:39 +1200
> adam <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > Am on Ubuntu 16.04, org-version is 8.2.10
> >
> > Export to PDF C-c C-e l o  is working.
> > However I wish finer grain LaTeX control.
> >

> > For Export to PDF to work, I needed  pdftex
> >
> > So I followed one suggestion and installed
> > sudo apt-get install texlive-latex-extra
> >
> > However Tex's tlmgr reports errors and doesn't work. Tex users
> > suggest a version incompatibility between that tlmgr and this Tex
> > package.
> >
> > Any suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > Perhaps I should un-install texlive-latex-extra  and install a more
> > fully blown LaTex package. In which case, which one?
> I typically install texlive-full (Debian 9), but don't use tlmgr on it.
>
> If you want newer packages best download and install it from
> texlive.net to a separate location (e.g. /opt/texlive/$YEAR).
>
> Are you sure you don't have pdftex installed already?
>
> Is your Ubuntu an “update” installation that may have gone wrong?  Or
> does Ubuntu offer several tex/latex distributions?  I think most people
> nowadays use the texlive distribution.
>
> Best regards
> Robert

Thanks Robert.

No, I didn't have a pdftex beforehand, so I needed that from any
Tex/LaTeX/TexLive
system.

It was perhaps my mistake to install  texlive-extra  because tlmgr doesn't work
properly,
tlmgrgui seems unavailable, thus I can't list my currently available fonts or
load new
packages.

With some hesitation or regret, I feel must install a full-blown TeX Live
system, simply
for some help or control with the Tex of the org-mode LaTeX PDF export.

I found this link below, which suggests using the TeX Live Installer

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/1092/how-to-install-vanilla-texlive-on-debian-or-u
buntu?noredirect=1&lq=1

Thank you.