Re: [O] newbie which LaTeX for PDF publish

From: Robert Klein
Subject: Re: [O] newbie which LaTeX for PDF publish
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 14:34:23 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, 01 Sep 2018 22:12:39 +1200
adam <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am on Ubuntu 16.04, org-version is 8.2.10
>
> Export to PDF C-c C-e l o  is working.
> However I wish finer grain LaTeX control.
>

> For Export to PDF to work, I needed  pdftex
>
> So I followed one suggestion and installed
> sudo apt-get install texlive-latex-extra
>
> However Tex's tlmgr reports errors and doesn't work. Tex users
> suggest a version incompatibility between that tlmgr and this Tex
> package.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.
>
> Perhaps I should un-install texlive-latex-extra  and install a more
> fully blown LaTex package. In which case, which one?

I typically install texlive-full (Debian 9), but don't use tlmgr on it.

If you want newer packages best download and install it from
texlive.net to a separate location (e.g. /opt/texlive/$YEAR).

Are you sure you don't have pdftex installed already?

Is your Ubuntu an “update” installation that may have gone wrong?  Or
does Ubuntu offer several tex/latex distributions?  I think most people
nowadays use the texlive distribution.

Best regards
Robert