Re: [O] unable to edit indirect-buffer in fundamental mode without losin

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] unable to edit indirect-buffer in fundamental mode without losing pretty printing in base buffer org mode
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 13:40:09 +0200

Hello,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> +1 on this idea from me.

I created a "next" branch that we can merge in master once we're out
feature freeze.

> I describe the problem as: Org tries to be slightly WYSIWYG in terms of
> subscripts (with the relevant configuration settings).  But the facade
> over the underlying textual markup is imperfect.  Users sometimes need
> to edit the textual markup.

I assume you mean that sub/superscript markers are hidden (i.e.,
relevant configuration settings for WYSIWYG).

But in what cases do users need to edit the textual markup? Can they be
avoided ?

> The patch I created is based on a very similar emacs feature
> (prettify-symbols-mode).  (Unlike the org feature, the emacs feature
> only font-locks a static list of strings; it doesnʼt handle subscripts
> where the content to be font-locked can vary).  Once org supports emacs
> 25+ only (is it actually the case already?),

We officially support Emacs 24.3, even though at least Emacs 24.4 is
expected.

> I think it would be a good idea to replace the org-entities
> font-locking with the emacs built-in feature. Then my patch could
> extend that for subscripts (and we could recycle the core emacs
> defcustoms which control the featureʼs optionality, rather than
> needing our own).

About entities, we need to be able to distinguish between users entities
unrelated to Org, and the fixed set of entities in Org. Otherwise, if
can re-use code from Emacs, I'm all for it.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou