Re: [O] unable to edit indirect-buffer in fundamental mode without losin

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] unable to edit indirect-buffer in fundamental mode without losing pretty printing in base buffer org mode
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 21:50:41 +0200

Hello,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> OTOH, we need to provide a way to edit those curly braces.  I have just
> pushed commit 102832e66 to the master branch.  That will cause any
> sub/superscript under the point to have its font lock properties
> removed, so that the braces will become visible for editing.  It is
> modeled after a similar feature in emacs built-in
> prettify-symbols-mode.
>
> So, I think that should address your usecase.

As far as the initial problem is concerned, this is an issue with
indirect buffers, a feature that is not well considered even by Emacs
developers. It has clear limitations.

On the other hand, I agree that editing sub/superscripts is not optimal.
In particular, hiding braces and using skeleton pairs for curly brackets
is not a nice editing experience. It would be nice if we could make it
smoother.

However, your fix is not great at all. It was discussed on this ML,
about square brackets in links: it causes "jumpings" during editing,
which some users, including me, find annoying. Even if it was optional,
it would need to be discussed beforehand.

Also, we are in feature freeze for Org 9.2, so this would need, in any
case, to wait for the release.

As a consequence, would you mind reverting the patches related to this
feature?

Thank you.

Regards,

--