Re: [O] Link "bracket-types"

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] Link "bracket-types"
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 18:17:51 +0200

Hi all

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 10:12 AM, Michael Brand
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Thank you for the patch. I changed it (attached) to something that
> preserves org-toggle-link-display and allows more different configs
> for more different usages, please see the docstring of
> org-link-brackets. I tried it out with org-toggle-link-display and for
> org-link-brackets '(0 0), '(1 1) and '(0 2).

Another use case for playing with org-link-brackets config:

In my opinion the underline in the org-link face makes descriptive
links with many words less readable. Currently I try out underline
turned off. To compensate for the missing indication of beginning and
end of adjacent descriptive links I changed org-link-brackets from my
previous '(0 2) to '(1 2) to get 1 bracket pair around descriptive
links.

For those interested in readability:

Put the following without the #-lines in an empty Org buffer (with the
default face for org-link and underline) and try to read as fast as
possible.

#+begin_example
---- 8< ---- cut here ---- 8< ----

1) TIHS IS RAEADLBE BCUSEAE TEH HUAMN MNID DEOS
   NTO RAED ERVEY LTETER BY ISTLEF, BTU TEH WROD AS A WLOHE

2) [[http://example.com][Tihs is raeadlbe bcuseae teh huamn mnid deos
   nto raed ervey lteter by istlef, btu teh wrod as a wlohe]]

3) _Tihs is raeadlbe bcuseae teh huamn mnid deos
   nto raed ervey lteter by istlef, btu teh wrod as a wlohe_

4) Tihs is raeadlbe bcuseae teh huamn mnid deos
   nto raed ervey lteter by istlef, btu teh wrod as a wlohe

#+end_example

To my understanding underline and UPPERCASE decrease readability
because they affect the bouma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouma

michael
ʅǝɐɥɔᴉɯ