Re: [O] Smooth transition for modules (was: [POLL] Should Org tempo be e

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] Smooth transition for modules (was: [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates thru e.g. "<s[TAB]"))
Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 10:26:27 +0100

Hi Bastien,

2018ko maiatzak 8an, Bastien-ek idatzi zuen:

> Thanks -- I tested it.

Thanks :)

> I like the idea of sending a warning to the user for
> backward-incompatible changes but in this case, well, we take for
> granted that org-tempo will be turned off by default in the next
> release... but this is not decided yet.

Indeed, the patch was written under that assumption.  If the situation
changes, (at least) some tweaks would be needed.

> To be clear, the whole change still needs work for sure, and nothing
> is decided so far.
>
> But here is some food for thought on how to deprecate an Org feature
> more nicely.
>
> We have org-modules, which is an internal mechanism to load default
> Org modules.  Yes, this predates Emacs package system, and yes, we
> should question the usefulness of it now (I do).
>
> But: what if [...]

I like this idea, but I also think that emacsʼ packages feature is a
better/newer way to implement something like this.  What if:

1. We donʼt include org-tempo in org releases
2. We teach GNU ELPA to include org-tempo as a package (corresponding to
   stable org releases)
3. We teach <https://orgmode.org/elpa/> to also do so (corresponding to
   nightly org releases)
4. We implement your suggested user prompt, but it will ask them if they
   want to install the org-tempo package from ELPA

In this way, users who either install org from GNU ELPA or use the
version bundled with emacs will get the latest release version of
org-tempo from GNU ELPA.  Those who install the nightly version of org
will get the corresponding nightly version of org-tempo.*

WDYT?

(An alternative to step 3 above is to cater for the nightly release
users by putting org-tempo in org-contrib.  Then we wouldnʼt have to
publish org-tempo on Org ELPA, only GNU ELPA.  But this (a) doesnʼt help
those who install nightly org as opposed to nightly org-plus-contrib,
and (b) means that org-tempo, unlike other packages in contrib, would
have to be kept copyright-clean...so Iʼm not sure it is a good choice.)

Aaron

* Those of us who install org from git might have to do something else
to make sure the right version of org-tempo is loaded, but weʼre used to
living on the edge.  :P

--
Aaron Ecay