Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [POLL] Should Org tempo be enabled by default? (expand templates thru e.g. "<s[TAB]")
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 11:03:55 +0200

> Hello,
>
> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> FWIW, I strongly disagree that Yasnippet is a suitable replacement.  IMO
>> it’s not at all intuitive.
>
> You must be kidding. Consider the following snippet:
>
>    # key: <s
>    # --
>
>    #+begin_src $1
>    $0
>    #+end_src
>
> In a buffer, "<s" and TAB lets me insert the language and possible
> header arguments, then another TAB puts point within the block.

Especially the tab behavior is what "gets me" with yasnippet.  It seems
erratic.  Some package that I use used to auto-load it a few years back
and it created a horrible mess with weird highlights and the tab key not
working as expected.

I have not tried it for many years, but last time I used it I had a
distinct distaste for its behavior.

The syntax looks nice.

> No offense intended, but Yasnippet is more powerful and also more
> versatile than what we offer, since we stick to "<" prefix for
> historical reasons.

Perhaps what we offer is also more simple.

>> Why is using tempo NIH?
>
> Using Tempo is fine. But we're writing a template system on top of it,
> which is a different beast.

I am not sure I would raise it to a "template system".  At most a "block
insertion system".

Rasmus

--
To err is human. To screw up 10⁶ times per second, you need a computer