Re: [O] Moving from Jekyll to Orgmode

From: Diego Zamboni
Subject: Re: [O] Moving from Jekyll to Orgmode
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 23:40:53 +0200

Hi,

I would like to rewrite my website using Orgmode (till now I used
Jekyll). It would be nice if you could help me with following questions:

Org-mode is not really a website-publishing tool like Jekyll, although it can be part of the chain. Org-mode at its core is a markup language, although with considerable tooling support from org-mode and related tools in Emacs.

Org-mode would be equivalent to Markdown in this respect. You still need to use a tool to generate/publish your website.

My current favorite is Hugo (http://gohugo.io/) which, just like Jekyll, generated a static website, but has a lot of very nice features.

So, the first step would be to migrate your website from Jekyll to Hugo (https://gohugo.io/tools/migrations/#jekyll), including built-in support in Hugo (https://gohugo.io/commands/hugo_import_jekyll/). At this point, your posts would still be in Markdown format, but once in Hugo, you can start moving them over to org-mode. My recommendation would be to use the excellent ox-hugo (https://ox-hugo.scripter.co/), which allows you to keep your source files in org-mode but generate proper Markdown files for Hugo.

My answers below assume the above.

1. could somebody, please, point me to a tutorial on how to create a
multilingual site? Like the orgmode.org with EN:FR:JA. Ideally it would
be if one would have page-aware language switch, i.e. if one is on the
page orgmode.org/fr/features.html and clicks JA he will be redirected to
orgmode.org/ja/features.html (and not .../ja/index.html as it is now)…

Hugo has built-in support for multilingual sites: https://gohugo.io/content-management/multilingual/ - I’ve never used it so I don’t know how well it works.

2. how can one create "prettified" links, i.e. /features/ instead
of /features.html ? Basically during the website generation for the file
features.org a directory `features` needs to be created and the html
file placed into `features/index.html` ... Is there a tutorial on how to
do that?

Hugo does this by default, but has a lot of options for how URLs are generated: https://gohugo.io/content-management/urls/

3. is there a free modern "corporate" style theme for org-mode?

Org-mode doesn’t have themes, but Hugo does: https://themes.gohugo.io/

I hope this helps. Feel free to look at the source for my website (http://zzamboni.org/) for inspiration: https://github.com/zzamboni/zzamboni.org. I only recently started migration to org-mode/ox-hugo. You can find all my old posts at https://github.com/zzamboni/zzamboni.org/tree/master/content, and the newer ones, generated from an org-mode file, at https://github.com/zzamboni/zzamboni.org/blob/master/content-org/zzamboni.org.

Best,
—Diego