Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 09:08:23 +0100

Hello,

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> in org maint, i can click on a link and, without any cognitive
> overhead, and with certainty, run a command to get back to the link i
> clicked on.  to me this seems like basic hypertext ability, such as
> you might find in info or the back button on firefox.
>
> i think your change will make this "back button" behavior as stated in
> the previous paragraph impossible.  please correct me if that is not
> true.

That is not true.

If you're still in the same document, the local mark ring moves you back
to the previous location. If you are not in the same document anymore,
the global mark ring brings you back to the previous location.

> [for the bug that seems to have prompted your proposal, we could be
> discussing pushing to the global and local mark rings.  but this does
> not seem to be what we are discussing.]

I don't want to alter the Emacs mark ring behaviour.

> you have suggested filing a bug report against emacs.  but the emacs
> behavior is ancient.  emacs-devel is conservative.  emacs changing
> does not seem much more likely than every nation on earth switching to
> english as its official language tomorrow.

You are complaining about the global mark ring, which is an Emacs
feature. So, this complaint should reach Emacs devel.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou