Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Could we get rid of Org specific "mark ring"
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 01:27:48 +0100

Hello,

Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2/25/18, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

>> If you're still in the same document, the local mark ring moves you back
>> to the previous location. If you are not in the same document anymore,
>> the global mark ring brings you back to the previous location.

> i am at a link in file a that sends me to file b.  i click on it
> [actually ret on it].  i pop the global mark ring.
>
> you are saying i will always get back to the link in file a always?
>
> now same example with the link pointing to file a.  will the global
> mark ring take me there?

I guess these are rhetorical questions because I answered them above.

> if not, then i will have to use local mark
> ring.  this means i have to think about whether the file i was in was
> the same file or not.

In practice, when I have no clue about where I was before, I first try
a local ring jump. If it fails, I do a global ring jump. This is
a no-brainer.

> almost always, by the time i have done whatever
> i was doing at target, that is totally forgotten.  the cognitive
> overhead criterion in my first paragraph is violated.  so i /think/ my
> statement about the back button behavior being broken with your change
> is true.  please correct if that is wrong.

The current situation is worse. I have to know how I made it to the
current location, i.e., with an Org command or not. It is harder to
mitigate.

>>> [for the bug that seems to have prompted your proposal, we could be
>>> discussing pushing to the global and local mark rings.  but this does
>>> not seem to be what we are discussing.]

I changed `org-mark-ring-push' to also push to Emacs mark ring. This is
better, but, out of the 3 problems I stated at the beginning of this
thread, it only solves the second one.

> i am saying that it's not a substitute for the current org behavior.

My proposal is slightly different than the current Org behaviour, but
the features are the same. I don't think Org own mark ring is really
needed. It makes Org less integrated in the Emacs ecosystem.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou