Re: [O] advice please: best way to export to DOC(X) with maths

From: edgar
Subject: Re: [O] advice please: best way to export to DOC(X) with maths
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 03:20:50 +0000

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 12:18:24 +0000
From: Eric S Fraga <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Hello,

almost all the writing I do that is intended to be exported will be
exported to LaTeX.  However, every now and again I need to export to
DOC/DOCX.

My query is: what is the best way (i.e. the state of the art) currently
in org to export to DOC/DOCX for text that has equations?  I have both
inline maths, e.g. \(i \in [0,n]\) and displayed equations.  Is there a
route that will convert these to something Word et al. can process
directly, other than images?  Maybe via pandoc?

Thanks,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.1.3-168-g7455f4

I only know how to do a rough approximation by means of pandoc:

#+BEGIN_SRC bash
  pandoc -f org+smart my-original.org -t docx+smart -o my-output.docx
#+END_SRC

for slightly older versions of pandoc, this may work (there is an equivalent for the references, I think):
#+BEGIN_SRC bash
pandoc -f org+smart --bibliography=../../References.bib my-original.org -o my-output.doc
#+END_SRC

I used to have a better solution, but at some point it stopped working. I didn't ask here, because 1/2 of my questions go under the radar, and I don't like to bug people with my issues:

To get a working file, first export to odt with Org-mode
(~C-c C-e o o~), and then run this (you can do ~C-c C-c~
on it; make sure that LibreOffice is not running)
#+BEGIN_SRC shell :results none
 libreoffice --headless --convert-to doc ./my-.odt
#+END_SRC

For the latter, I used to have

A better solution would be most appreciated.

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the
NSA's hands!
$24.95 ONETIME Lifetime accounts with Privacy Features! 15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas! Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!