Re: [O] LaTeX > PDF blocked by extender chars in filename

From: Eduardo Mercovich
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX > PDF blocked by extender chars in filename
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 17:29:49 -0300

Dear Felipe.

This somehow happens to be problematic to me too [...] However, hyperlinks (that is: those between "[[" and "]]") demand percent encoding/escaping. But, it seems that the Org-to-LaTeX exporter isn't translating the hyperlinks to something LaTeX understands (LaTeX expects literal characters, and "%" is the start of a comment).

Great finding, this seems like a possible culprit...

Also, as a final note, the default grffile inclusion in the Org-to-LaTeX (and to PDF also) doesn't include the necessary options to make LaTeX accept spaces and accents in file names. That's OK for compatibility reasons, and if you do want to force it to accept such special characters, use the grffilesetup LaTeX command with the proper grffile options.

I didn't knew about grffile, thanks. So, does this means that to support extended ascii chars we need to include this package?
Personally, I like to go the safest route: remove special characters from file names whenever I don't need them. I generally replace spaces with underscores, and leave letters without accent. This also avoids having to deal with the broken percent decoding/unescaping when doing Org-to-LaTeX exports.

I also do that usually. I found this case because a special char (ñ) escaped me. ;)

However, given the widespread use of extended ascii chars in many languages around the world (and the excellent support that emacs in particular and the free/libre software movement in general are proud to have for them) it would be good to have something as this working without glitches. Also, it may be a showstopper for newbies since it may take quite a while to find what is happening. After all, if there is no problem with my OS, why would it be an issue with emacs?

Except programming that I don't know how to do, I would gladly do what it takes to help with this. :)

Thanks Nicolas and Felipe for your attention... :D

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos con las necesidades del mundo, ahí está tu vocación. (Anónimo)